Sunday, March 23, 2014

What color is your life?

If you could pick a color to describe your life, what would it be?
Recently, one of my students wrote something that I thought was profound as it explored the color of a life.  Here it is:
When something is taken away, something valuable, you want it back. Now, when I say valuable, I
don't mean money and material things. My most valuable possession...was my emotion. It was taken from me and was replaced by something dreadful. Surely, you can guess what it was. A certain darkness that no one wants.When I was in the jaws of this darkness, pain hit every inch of my heart, mind, and soul. It masked all emotion and I become blank, as blank as a clean paper plate. Dull.
When this darkness came like a blanket, black and white suddenly turned into grey. Nothing influenced or inspired at all. I sat often wondering what the world is doing without me. The news often spoke of this darkness and much tragedy happened because of its grip on people. But, since I'm on the listening end, these things are just... nothing. The world is nothing. Life is nothing.
The physical touches of others was almost like touching a ghost. Their touch went right through me. Invisibility became a necessity. A heaviness tugged at my heart and your heart became a 1000 lb. burden carrier. Life got harder to live, harder see. It got harder to breathe. People often asked me if I was alright, and the trademark answer was, "I'm fine."
The reading of a good story no longer gave me the urge to go out on an adventure. The face of my lover never truly gave me that fluttery feeling in my stomach anymore, nor do his kisses send shivers down my back andgoosebumps across my skin.
There was a sense of recovery one day but, that grey still lurked. I added a tint of yellow, like a smile, and the grey absorbed it and became... brighter. I threw in some red, like love, and the grey became darker. The color grey never truly disappears. Ask any painter or artist. Grey is a color that will only become ugly when you add other colors to it.
Yet, there were two colors that could change it completely.Black and white. Once I chose black and it made the grey even darker, making me sing even deeper. But, when I added white, that was a different story. You see, grey is almost a bright color. It's easy on the eyes. Once you add white, it brightens. Now white can be a multiple amount of things. God, love, peace, hope, family, friends; white is scientifically proven to be a color with all the colors in existence combined. Black is the absence of color.
After adding small colors here and there, such as orange for my hunger and blue for my lovers eyes, my gray started to turn into white.

No comments:

Post a Comment